Welcome to the Wedding Planning List – my checklist guide to planning your own wedding!
- Talk to your partner and set your budget.
- Talk to your partner about what you both want on your wedding day. Discuss your ideal wedding day.
- Choose your bridesmaids / ushers / best man / maid of honour.
- Start a guest list. Decide on the maximum number of guests (this may depend on the venue)
- Browse your venue(s) and make enquiries.
- Decide on a colour scheme or any particular themes.
- PARTY! Throw an engagement party!
- Reserve your wedding date and venue(s).
- Book your registrar, officiant or celebrant.
- Look into wedding insurance
- Research suppliers:
- Book your photographer.
- Book your videographer.
- Visit wedding dress shops and try on dresses, styles and fits.
- Plan your ‘Save the Date’s. (Perhaps have an engagement shoot and use the photos on cards as save the dates!)
- Send out your ‘Save the Date’s.
- Purchase your dress, (the dress shop needs to order it and then you need alterations!)
- Research guest accommodationn.
- Book your DJ.
- Book your entertainment.
- Order your wedding cake.
- Order the groom suit.
- Order the bridesmaids dresses and groomsmen’s attire.
- Book your honeymoon. (Make sure your passports are in date!)
- Book your wedding transport/cars.
- Meet the caterers and book your wedding breakfast.
- Optional: Launch a wedding website.
- Send your wedding invitations.
- Order your wedding flowers – bouquets, posies, cravats, etc.
- Order your wedding favours.
- Plan the hen/stag dos.
- Attend pre-marriage counselling. (Catholic ceremonies)
- Decide on your wedding prayers and readings.
- Decide on your wedding songs (walking down the aisle, signing the register, exiting the ceremony)
- Book hairdresser.
- Book make-up artist.
- Book your rehearsal dinner.
- Purchase wedding shoes, jewellery, garter, accessories.
- Purchase your underwear.
- Ask people to prepare/give toasts.
- Plan your wedding decor. Remember to order everything in time if you are DIY.
- RSVP date for wedding invitations.
- Order your confetti, cones, flip flops, toiletry baskets and such.
- Give notice to your registrar/priest and parish.
- Arrange your final fittings for the dresses and suits.
- Order your wedding rings.
- Organise gifts for the wedding party/family.
- Have your hair and make-up trial.
- Finalise order of service/ceremony booklets.
- Finalise your day-of timeline.
- Finalise the menu.
- Finalise the flowers.
- Put an announcement in the paper.
- Chase up anyone who hasn’t RSVP-ed.
- Call any guests who have not RSVP-ed and finalise the guest list.
- Finalise plans with all suppliers.
- Send over a shot list to your photographer.
- Send the relevant suppliers your day-of timeline.
- Finalise details with the venue and caterers.
- Have your bachelor and bachelorette party!
- Get your marriage licence and make sure all the legalities are set.
- Make your final payments.
- Prepare a table plan.
- Write your vows.
- Print your place cards.
- Delegate on-the-day jobs and plans to the bridal party.
- Pick up your dress.
- Check in with the suppliers one last time.
- Give the venue/caterer the final head-count.
- Break in your wedding shoes.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
- Get pampered: book a spa day, get waxed, have a mani-pedi, get your hair cut and coloured.
- Try on your wedding dress with all undergarments and accessories.
- Organise any balances still to be paid on-the-day in cheque.
- Pick up the groom’s formalwear and ensure all the wedding party have their outfits.
- Provide all the suppliers with an emergency contact phone number.
- Drop off all the relevant stationary: table plan, place cards, order of service, menus etc. to the wedding coordinator.
- Drop off the wedding favours at the venue plus any wedding signs or props.
- Drop off all the decorations at the venue and decorate if if you are DIY!
- Sleep well!
- Wake up and try and stay as calm as you can! Eat a good breakfast.
- Get the flowers and any remaining bits delivered to the bridal prep location.
- Give the wedding bands to the ring-bearer or best man.
- Assign a family member or member of the wedding party to assist the photographer in directing the group shots.
- Give out the family/wedding party presents!
- If any fees are remaining to be paid via cash or cheque, designate a family member or wedding party member to hold the fee and give it to them after the ceremony.
- Relax and enjoy the big day!
- Send out thank-you cards to guests.
- Send out thank-you cards to helpful vendors.
- Return any rental items.
- Arrange to have your wedding dress cleaned.
I hope this list is helpful to you – if there’s anything you think I’ve missed please feel free to comment on what it is and at what milestone/timeline it should be at!